Do you think what you eat can keep you from aging or slow down the aging process? Well there are not foods that will keep wrinkles from forming, or make the ones that you have disappear, but there are foods that can have a great effect on your healthfulness and ward off disease.
Having a healthy lifestyle that includes regular physical activity, adequate rest, avoiding tobacco, using sunscreen and a diet full of healthy foods and beverages can be the best defense against aging.
There are some specific foods that can be helpful. Foods with antioxidants, which help get rid of disease causing free radicals are very beneficial. Foods high in antioxidants include blueberries, spinach, black or green tea and pinto beans.
Other foods that may be helpful:
- Fish: Choose omega-3-rich varieties, such as salmon and tuna, at least twice/week; omega-3-fats may help to improve mood and attitude, and help prevent chronic inflammation.
- Whole grains: Eat foods made with whole grains to help lower blood cholesterol levels and put more antioxidants into your diet.
- Legumes: Aim for 3-4 servings/week; legumes are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and protein, with very little or no fat.
- Yogurt: Make yogurt a part of your diet; yogurt has plenty of calcium and vitamin D, with the added benefits of probiotics to encourage a healthy gastrointestinal system.
- Nuts: Include nuts as a snack or in foods you prepare; nuts provide the B vitamins that are essential for your heart and brain, with plenty of healthy fats.
- Lean protein: Select lean cuts of meat to maintain muscle.
- Healthy oils, including canola and olive oils: Choose oils that provide you with additional omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flaxseeds: Grind and stir into yogurt, cereal, etc; flaxseeds provide a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Reduced-fat milk and milk products: Drink to make sure you get plenty of calcium and vitamin D.
- Fresh herbs and spices: Use plenty. Because these provide another excellent source of antioxidants.
It’s best to avoid foods that contain saturated and trans fats and a lot of sugars. Making good food and drink choices will have you well on your way to helping your body age well.